Tuesday 23 October 2012

So now what...

Puppies are all gone now.  They all left on Friday and have settled well into their new homes.  I have been sent lots of happy updates and photos from their new families.  The puppies are all sleeping through the night, all of them love their kennels and have no problem going in for nap time.  All the puppies are making friends with their new canine siblings, and of course they all love their new humans immensely.  The puppies have successfully settled in and are beginning their new lives.

How am I doing?  I'm ok.  I miss my puppies, I think about them often. I remember all their silly puppy antics and I can't get over how quiet the house is now.  I have tons of free time again, and I find I don't have anything to fill it with.  I worry about my puppies.  I know they are not actually mine anymore, but it's funny how hard of a concept that is to accept. I know without a doubt that the new families are absolutely perfect and are the best possible homes I could have found for them.  But I still feel like their mother and I worry about their well being.  I know this will pass, it has only been a few days.  I take comfort in all the happy stories and photos the new owners share with me, it reaffirms that I did the right thing.

So now it is time to get serious about Spryte's training again.  Saturday we went to our first flyball practise since July.  She was rusty and we had to take several steps back.  Catching the ball out of the loaded box was tricky and took a lot of work for her to get her coordination back.  I know with some consistent practise she will improve quickly and be back to the level we were in the summer.  My goal is to take her to the february tournament.

I have also started our obedience training again.  I would like to get her CDX title this year.  Holding the dumbbell without rolling it around continues to be a big issue, so we will need lots of consistent work on that.  The other skills are decent (especially the jumps, that is always her favourite thing to do), but again a bit rusty because it has been a while since we have practised. It is time to start really proofing and adding distractions, and taking the show on the road. So we will focus on our training and meeting these goals.

We are also entered in our first agility trial this coming weekend.  Regionals was the last competition we entered.  Our agility practises have been going well, but I admit I am a bit nervous for this weekend.  I just hope the teamwork is there like it was in the summer and we don't have an awkward adjustment period.

here are pics of the puppies in their new homes:

snap enjoying the sun

Quinn hoarding his toys (something his mom did all the time as a puppy)

Quinn playing with his new toy

Cricket playing with her new sibling, Jerry.

Cricket playing with new toys

Izzy loving the outdoors

Izzy with her new princess bed, lucky girl!

Here is a video from flyball practise on Saturday. the two puppies on the team, Radio and Snap are playing tug and doing recalls


1 comment:

  1. Nice to see all the puppies enjoying their new homes. Quinn hoards his toys and everyone else's toys. The rest of the dog crew are very nice about getting them back.

    ReplyDelete