Friday 24 August 2012

Day 6

When Susan Garrett opened her Puppy Peaks program a year or so ago, I joined thinking there would be some great puppy raising tips in there.  Susan's plan was to video her training sessions with her new Border Collie puppy Swagger, from 3 weeks of age until he was ready for competition.

Well I wasn't disappointed! There are so many great tips in there not included in the Jerry Hope book that I can apply to raising this litter.  Things like placing the puppy crate on balance discs so the puppies get used to a moving crate from an early age.  This should make events like car rides and plane rides easy for the dogs.

She starts jump training by using her legs as mini jump bumps.  Getting the puppy to go from one side to the other after a toy.

Proprioception is also started at a young age by having the puppies stand on balance discs and then progress to walking across several discs at a time.

And there are many other ideas that I have not mentioned.  I am excited to include all of these great early training ideas to my puppy raising program.  I think this might end up being my full time job ;)


6 days old  L-R: sable male, bi black large female, sable female, small bi black female

2 comments: