Wednesday 30 January 2013

More Nose Work

I did another Nose Work session with the Shelties this morning.  The nice thing about this sport is I can do it at home, and it takes very little time.  Most of my session are between 3 and 5 minutes long. 

Today we were working on several new things. For one we were in a different room in the house that I have never trained in before, second I set up some "obstacles" for them to work around.  A suitcase, a bag, and a couple of box type items.  Third I started to see if the dogs can stay committed while I circle around them.

Below is Strider's session.  In the beginning Spryte was doing better than Strider, but now the old guy has figured it out and is doing well too. He still wants to indicate to the food containers, but has realized that it won't pay off and to keep looking.  There is a great moment in this video at about 41 seconds where Strider goes to move past the correct container and then catches the scent and his head whips around to indicate the item.  I love watching those "ah ha!" moments.

1 comment:

  1. That looked great fun! The dogs are so so clever!
    Today, I tried the same with yogurt pots and treats. I didn't get it at all!
    Pip

    ReplyDelete