Wednesday 20 November 2013

Day 46

boy

The last few nights I have started to lock the puppies in the kennel when we go to sleep.  For now they are both in the same kennel.  They go in around 11:30pm and are sleeping until around 5:30am.  Next week I will bring out another kennel and they will begin sleeping by themselves.

Tonight I also introduced the puppies to a clicker.  One at a time I took the puppies to a quiet spot with a bowl of plain yogurt.  I put some yogurt on my finger, clicked the clicker and then gave the puppy the yogurt to lick. I have the more traditional box clickers, so they are a bit louder than the newer style clickers.  Both puppies definitely noticed the sharp noise and startled a bit when it went off. But they happily ate the yogurt being offered and didn't seem too bothered by the new noise.  It has only been one session so far, so they don't yet associate the "click" with a reward. But a little more classical conditioning and they will be getting pretty excited when the "click" goes off.

Here are some pics and videos from today:

puppies ready to pounce on each other (boy left, girl right)
 
more playing (girl sitting, boy on back)
 
girl
 
the boy biting the girl's tail
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my!! Love seeing their funny antics! Could they get any cuter? Your blog is so great - stories, pics and video - I think you should write a book! When you see how rapidly they develop is seems clear that working with them early can have a big impact. Way to go, Kim!

    ReplyDelete