Thursday 16 February 2012

Wahoo I officially have a kennel name!

Today I got the official certificate from the CKC with my approved kennel name: HyperHounds.  It's happening, I am actually going to be a dog breeder. I have always wanted to breed dogs, but it just never seemed to work out for me.  It seemed like a hard thing to get into if you wanted to do it right and it appeared like you really needed to know the right people.

I had tried a few years ago to find a foundation sheltie bitch.  Every breeder that I emailed said they would give me a performance dog in a heartbeat, but they all hesitated when I mentioned a breeding female, because they didn't know me personally. It was frustrating and I eventually gave up.  So when Spryte's litter was born I wanted the boy. I had made the decision that I wasn't going to breed and I just wanted another great dog like Strider that I could do my dog sports with.

Well fate stepped in and the boy was the pick puppy and went to Leane's sister.  Leane really liked Spryte's sibling for herself and Spryte for me. So now I had a girl, and the wheels started turning.  Leane had mentioned that Spryte could get her championship if I was interested.  So I said I would love to try and then casually asked if I could breed her if she got her championship. To my surprise she agreed! This was a huge shock after all the negative responses I had gotten from breeders across the country.  And Leane not only agreed, but said when the time came she would help find me a stud, help with the breeding if necessary, help with the whelping and help assess the litter.  I couldn't ask for a better mentor for my first litter, I was so overwhelmed and happy that my dream might finally be coming true.  Since then Leane has helped me learn the conformation world, has helped me learn more about sheltie structure and breeding practises, and patiently answers all my newbie questions.  It is a whole new world for me and I am loving it!

So thank you to Strider and our great accomplishments, it helped show Leane that I am serious about my dogs and when it was time to get Spryte I was not a stranger to Leane, but instead a repeat client.   And thanks to fate for putting everything into place for me and not allowing me to give up on my dream of breeding wonderful dogs. This summer should be the beginning of the HyperHounds kennel.  A small breeding kennel that I hope gains a reputation for producing dogs with great structure, temperament and drive.  Dogs that excel in performance events, are wonderful companions and pretty too.

1 comment:

  1. Yup, Leane is a pretty amazing person! So glad you have her as a mentor. Not many honest people who truly care about the dogs and health first and foremost!! Congrats on your kennel name! (Jolene)

    ReplyDelete